Monday, June 16, 2014

#RealBloggerBeauty

"We don't live in a magazine." And that's "lif."

Let me start with why I'm opening up today. My friend Maya of Charmingly Styled has started a movement called #RealBloggerBeauty and is urging the blogger community to open up about some of the pressures, insecurities and tribulations of having an online persona. 

My biggest insecurity is with the images I create for the blog. Especially with recipes. In the last few months I have poured a lot of time and energy into learning how to take prettier pictures. But. Don't for one second think that's what our meals look like!

The serving pieces only come out for pictures and parties. Even meals that have to be assembled are only done so nicely for the pictures.

I haven't done a home tour yet (on my 101 in 1001 list) mostly because we actually LIVE in our house and there are piles of mail and crumbs and laundry all around. I'm constantly rearranging items to try and get the best shot for Instagram but just out of frame is a dish towel, a dirty coffee mug, an old grocery list and an iPad charger. So while I have created a nice shot for Instagram's square the rest of my life does not look like a magazine. And most days, I don't want it to. It is a lot of pressure to have the house that tidy and organized and put together. I'll never be the mom with the "white couch" that can't be touched. 

I often look through my Instagram feed and at the images posted on my favorite blogs and have to remind myself that they have meticulously styled the subject for the shoot, have professional level lighting equipment and fancy cameras they know how to use. And I bet their houses are cluttered most of the time too. 

Even if you're not a blogger I'm sure looking at all our photos can stir feelings of inadequacy when looking at your kitchen counter! I hope I can make you believe me when I say that most of us don't actually live that way! And that's "Lif."*

*Lif. = adj.

Def. a term used endearingly between my best friend and I to describe those moments when you're a penny short, or your right arm pit is sweating way more than the left. Basically whenever it should be easy for life to be easy and go according to plan but then it just doesn't. 

Origin. A note passed in a COM201 course, discussing a penny short scenario and the response was "Lif." Instead of "life." And the moment was just too perfect so the term stuck.

My fellow bloggers that have shared amazing stories. (http://www.charminglystyled.com/2014/06/realbloggerbeauty.html) After reading a few of them this morning I pulled the post back to draft form and am addressing some of the really tough things about blogging and the stuff that never makes it up there. The part in italics is my "afterwards".

For every Pin out there of the quote "Comparison is the thief of Joy" I've compared myself to other girls and other bloggers twice. That's a lot. I can't seem to kick the habit of looking at others and seeing everything that they have and being envious and creating a list of all the things I don't. Or by saying "If I could just do this like her I'd be perfect."

Some examples:
If I would just lose the weight, I could be a big style blogger.
If I could afford a studio and the supplies for projects, I could be a big DIY blogger.
If I felt more comfortable in my own skin, people would take me seriously and want to support me. And I'd be inspiring them to feel more comfortable and inspire them to make the most out of everyday.

(queue tears, and feelings of being a fraud, how can I inspire others to make the most of everyday if I'm wallowing around wishing I were skinnier, more talented and more comfortable in my own skin)

Blogging is such a strange thing. We put ourselves out there and measure our success buy the number of comments, likes on instagram, followers on twitter. It feels like high school all over again and I am remembering why I was so anxious to get to college! While I would love to just blog and write about what I want to do, I also want to reach a level where I am a trusted resource as a blogger because I've now started a business to be a blog coach. My livelihood literally relies on people thinking that I know what I'm doing! I promise that I do, but like all of us, I have my insecurities and my clients will be much better off doing what I say and not necessarily as I do. 

There is a fair amount of rejection in blogging too. PR companies or brands don't always think your post or site is right for them (even though you've poured your heart into a pitch). Some bloggers get invited to events that I wish I were "cool enough" to go to. Even though I know that I'd rather stay home with Danny and watch a movie most nights instead of going out, the thought still flashes through my mind that I wasn't good enough to get invited to this event.

I'm not sure how to transition to this but Danny and I have been together for almost eight years and we've only "broken up" once. For less than 48 hours. The reason? I was spending so much of my time with him complaining. I'd complain about clothes not fitting, my roommates doing something dumb, my job, my lack of time management skills. Basically, I was just complaining all the time about how me and my Lif. were not perfect and it wore him down. He said to me "If you're not going to do anything to change it, do not complain about it to me." So, it took me all of a day and a half of listening to the saddest break-up songs and not telling anyone besides my Mom that we'd broken up to go back and admit that he was completely right.

Those two days were game changing for me. I realized that I had the power to create the narrative around situations I found myself in. If I didn't have anything in my closet that fit, I either needed to hop on the diet train or go buy new pants. If the people I was surrounding myself with were not making me happy, I could leave. If I wasn't feeling in control of my schedule, I was the only one who could slow down, make a list and then tackle it.

Wanting to be perfect for other people has been something I've struggled with forever. And blogging plays right into that. I get to choose the best recipes, the non-blurry images, the most successful DIY projects. But behind the scenes, I'm human and my everyday lif. is a lot like yours! I'm still learning to create the narrative in a positive light for my own situations (I'm very good at being a silver lining person for other people!) and more importantly, I'm learning to give myself credit for the positive narrative! 

Hopefully I haven't made blogging sound terrible!! I really do love it and for every negative thought that flashes in my mind, I have plenty of fun and have made some fantastic friends through this online adventure. I admire what my peers are doing, the content they're creating, the effort they're putting into it. I'll continue to work on tuning out the naysayer in my own head. I'll continue to remind myself that "Lif." is pretty wonderful and the imperfections are what make us interesting!

26 comments:

  1. loved reading your story erin! so true my life is chaos behind those pics too haha :) xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks girl! I think life is supposed to be chaotic and a little ugly!! At least that's what I'll keep telling myself ;]

      Delete
  2. I can definitely relate to this post! Sometimes I find myself complaining about the same thing over and over and I'm fed up with myself! There are a few things in my life right now that I'm not happy with, but I'm the only one who can change them. Thank you so much for sharing your insecurities and struggles. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not alone at all! Just figuring out and admitting that you're the one who can make the changes is a big step!

      Delete
  3. I can relate on sooo many levels to this!! I was beginning to have a love-hate relationship with the blogging world and recently I realized I have to get back to why I started blogging to begin with instead of caring about what everyone else was doing. Thank you for such an honest post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, glad it related. Once I started to "blog for others" I hated it and it became work. While blogging is more or less my work now, posts for Color Me Styled must first be fun to create!

      Delete
  4. I was SO THRILLED to see this post in my blog reader! I recently started blogging again and have struggled with wanting to stay unique, while simultaneously not feeling qualified because I don't live a constantly glamorous, put-together life. I don't eat macaroons for dinner and I can't have that white couch people are afraid to sit on, either.

    I'm going to update my latest post & link to this, because it's really, really nice to know I'm not alone :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it Hollie! While there is a lot of overlap and similarities in blogs out there every single one is different because each one has a different author. Keep up the blogging, you'll hit your stride!

      Delete
  5. You know, my husband also says to me that I shouldn't complain if I'm not going to do anything to change it. And he's totally right. I try my best to be true to ME and not compare but, yeah, it still stings sometimes when you see everyone out having fun and you're sitting on your couch watching a Mythbusters re-run. I actually love sitting on my couch watching Mythbusters but I do feel a twinge of "why am I not out there??" when I see those shots on Instagram or Twitter. But, then I remember how worn out I get when I try to keep up and remember that I need that down time and it's okay that I'm not at every single thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone once said her guiltiest pleasure is to cancel plans and I thought she was nuts until I cancelled on a blogger event to stay home and watch TV. It felt SO good. We do need time off and time to chill out so I agree that it is totally fine to not be at every event!

      Delete
  6. I agree with you a thousands times! It's hard to get caught up in what you think people want to hear and see. I've been especially struggling with it lately with trying to decide the direction to take my blog. But, as long as I keep blogging for me I think that's what matters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Katie! You can take the blog wherever you want to. As long as it is still something you want to sit down and create content for on a weekly/daily basis you'll be fine!

      Delete
  7. I can definitely resonate with your words! My boyfriend and I were working in the same office- we'd have stressful days and just complain to eachother about them when we got home. Literally, all of your time at home when you're not in the office turn into stress + complaining. Ick. The blogging world is so weird, sometimes I just have to take a step back and have a good laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laughter is the best medicine! Even when you're not working in the same office, it is so easy to just come home and complain. I learned the hard way the toll it takes and while I certainly do my share of complaining still, I'm much better at finding the positive or the way to change it. And yes, the blogging world is a strange one, sometimes I wonder why we all do it!!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for opening up, Erin! I absolutely can identify with nearly everything you said — it's nice to know we're all in this together :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary! I'm hearing the same from a lot of other bloggers so we're not alone at all!

      Delete
  9. It's so so so hard not to compare yourself to other people. And I TOTALLY agree that blogging can be just like high school. Thank you for being so honest and sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! It was tough to write for sure but after reading other submissions I feel a lot better... we all experience these feelings to some level!

      Delete
  10. Erin, thank you so much for sharing your story. While I am not a woman, I completely understand your feelings about not being "cool enough" to be invited to an event,etc. I too struggle with losing weight so that I can be slim enough to wear the awesome clothing that some of the great male bloggers of NYC do on their sites. It pretty much sucks! But I've accepted the fact that I am who I am, and proud of it as well. I have a ton to offer to people, just like you do as well. Without you probably knowing it, you are an inspiration to me. Keep pushing forward, and striving for the success that I know will come for you. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. love you too M! It is really tough out there but you're completely right, we have so much to offer and we're getting there. Success and notoriety (the good kind) doesn't come overnight!

      Delete
  11. This is such a great post and I agree 100%!! I actually live in my house and I am definitely not made to wear several kinds of clothes. Much love.
    Katharine
    www.paytington.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really great post, Erin! I can relate to a lot of this and it's very inspiring to read... thank you so much for sharing & congrats on starting your business as a blog coach - maybe it's something you've been doing for a while, but regardless, congrats! Like I said... inspiring. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Regan! I've been blog coaching for 4 months now and I love it.

      Delete
  13. Lif. That makes so much sense to me :nods: I have done what you do in terms of styling photos... "I'm just gunna shift this pile of crap to that other table over there so I can take this little pic" haha! And I've also not blogged outfits because the pictures turned out like crap (blurry, grainy, stupid expressions on my face... you name it). If I've learned anything from reading everyone's stories so far, it's that it's OK to not be perfect all the time, and everyone struggles with a lot of the same stuff I do as a blogger. Woah! What a relief!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! we are all in this together... I think next month we should all do an "outtakes" post and share some of the really bad outfit shots :)

      Delete

I love to hear from you! Leave me a comment here or on Facebook or Tweet me @ebdaily - - - talk soon!

Pin It button on image hover