Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Opening Day Style


Baseball season is here! Nothing is more fun than a beer and a dog at the game. And, since this is the year of the Polar Vortex, you'll need your October Baseball gear ready to go.

We attended a Brewers v Royals exhibition game last weekend and Miller Park, thankfully, closed the roof so we were very comfortable as we watched the game. On Monday, we went to cheer on the St. Louis Cardinals on their Opening Day. But, Busch Stadium doesn't have the luxury of a roof so I'll be sporting a sweatshirt with adorable stitching on the edges... it's a baseball seam!

You might be asking yourself how I became a STL Cardinals fan. Well, while I was growing up in Milwaukee the Brewers were only so so and baseball games to me meant tailgating and red vines once we were inside! When Danny and I began dating in the fall of 2006, he realized I didn't have much of an affiliation with the Brewers so he began the process of recruiting me to Cardinal nation. It wasn't too difficult, since that fall the Cardinals won the World Series but there were bumps in the road.

In May of 2007 I attended my first Cardinals game. I didn't have any gear so I just wore red but I wanted to make my new team official! I was picking out tees in the little boys section when I asked if "Pujols" was any good.

Not only was he like the best player on the team at the time, the J is a soft one, not a hard one like in the word Judge. I think I've since been forgiven but I still get poked fun at for my faux pas.

Since then I've gone to many games and have been to several ballparks throughout the US. Miller Park in Milwaukee, Busch Stadium in St. Louis, Fenway, Wrigley, the Cell/SOX park, the Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati and Jacobs Field in Cleveland. I'm not sure that I want to make it a goal to visit every single one but it is fun to spend the afternoon in a new city in a new stadium.

Baseball season means that spring and summer are on their way and although I don't love watching baseball on TV, going to the ballpark for a game is the epitome of summer. The sights, sounds and smells of baseball can't be beat.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if we can be friends, dear. But I'll make an exception. Us non-Chicago fans have to stick together! (I'm a Brewers fan through and through.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My baseball affiliations (most of my teams actually) are all the products of unique and twisted logic... I completely understand that some people are home town die hards :]

      Delete

I love to hear from you! Leave me a comment here or on Facebook or Tweet me @ebdaily - - - talk soon!

Pin It button on image hover