Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Color Me Domestic - Brownie Crust Cookies



One of the greatest debates of all time is whether brownies are better from the middle or the edge of the pan.  I, personally, am an edger but I fully respect the tastes of my middle of the pan friends and family. 
When I decided to make these cookies I thought they would be more like lace cookies and be really crispy but they actually are little, half-dollar sized, mocha delights that combine the crust and the soft middle of brownies.

What could be better?

The fact that TWO of them is less than 50 calories!  That's what you get when you make cookies out of Health magazine.  The original recipe called for toasted hazelnuts.  I have an abundance of coconut so I decided to make a batch with coconut flakes on top.  I can picture these being delicious with some crushed peppermints, pretzel pieces, reese's pieces, or another type of nut.  Your options are pretty much endless!

Oh, and I forgot to mention that mixing up the ingredients together takes about 9 seconds (okay, maybe a bit longer).  The longest part was waiting for my oven to preheat!

My secret ingredient is La Colombe's Pure Black Cold Brew coffee.  This guy packs a serious punch but it is the strongest coffee I know of and makes these cookies even better!  Your home brewed stuff will work just fine too, just make sure it is a stronger batch if you usually make a weaker cup.

I've already added them to my Recipe Box page - have you checked it out?  All the recipes we've cooked up on Color Me Styled are there for you to reference again!

Brownie Crust Cookies adapted from Health Magazine, December 2013
Ingredients
1/4 cup hazelnuts, skins removed
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
Pinch of salt
1 large egg white
1 tbsp strong brewed coffee, cooled

Equipment
2 cookie sheets
1 rimmed baking sheet
cooking spray
sifter/mesh sieve

Process
Place oven racks in the top and bottom thirds of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees.  Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper and mist with cooking spray. 

Spread the nuts out onto the rimmed baking sheet, and toast the nuts in the oven, stirring halfway through, they should take about 7-9 minutes.  If you can start to smell them take them out... it doesn't take long for them to burn after they become fragrant. Transfer the nuts to a bowl to cool and when they're cool enough to handle chop them finely.

Sift the confectioners' sugar, cocoa, and salt into a bowl.  Stir in the egg white and coffee until just smooth and all dry ingredients are incorporated.  Do not over-mix!

Drop teaspoonfuls of dough on lined baking sheets, about 2 inches apart.  Sprinkle with the nuts (or topping of your choice) and bake 10 minutes.  Switch the sheets in the oven half way through. 

Let the cookies cool completely on sheets or wire racks and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Leave me a comment here or on Facebook or Tweet me @ebdaily - - - talk soon!

Pin It button on image hover