Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Color Me Crafty - Holiday Mantle Banner



If I could, I would play Arts & Crafts all day long.  I absolutely love creating and experimenting and I find it tough to control myself this time of year.  (Note: at the moment I'm writing this I'm looking at the top of my tree and trying to figure out what to make as a tree topper!)
Pinterest has an array of beautiful mantles and since ours doubles as a TV stand my options were limited.  (Danny was not fond of the idea that we put the TV somewhere else for the season).  So I decided to make a banner.

Inspired by kid's noodle crafts, I gathered up my supplies and got to work.





The straws first got trimmed down to 1 to 1.5 inch pieces.  I used an X acto knife instead of scissors because I didn't want to flatten the straws as they were cut.  As I was cutting I decided that "Merry and Happy" would be my banner's message and with "and" all going on one that I would need 11 flags.  They were made of recycled slash upcycled slash reused wrapping paper.  


Once the flags were cut I wrote my message and laid the pieces out on the counter for spacing.  (Notice the nearly empty plate of yesterday's cookies at the end?  At the time of this post there is still one left.)  With the flags aligned, I used my trusty double stick tape to attach them to the string.  I finished the banner by stringing the straw pieces up in varying patterns and hung them at different lengths around the banner.

Wha-la!  Now it is time for you to make one too!

What You'll Need:
Patterned Paper Straws - I got 2 packs of 8 in the $1 aisle of Target
X acto Knife (and a thick magazine as a cutting board/mat)
Wrapping Paper
Scissors
Jute, Twine, or Baker's String - I used Knot & Bow's silver string
Sharpie
Double Stick Tape

Process:
Slice straws into uniform-ish size pieces.  They don't have to be exactly the same.  I got 4 pieces from each straw.  Cut string to size of area, allowing up to 6 inches extra on each end for hanging.  String straw slices onto string in whatever pattern you fancy.

Fold the wrapping paper "hot-dog" style and then "hamburger" style so it is an accordion shape.  Cut into triangles making sure the folded edge is along the top.  Cut as many triangle flags as needed for your message.  Once you have all the pieces, write out your message using the Sharpie.

Open each triangle (into a diamond shape) and place one piece of double stick tape near the fold and another piece down the middle to make a T shape.  Lay the string near the folded edge/middle of the diamond, close the flag by sealing it together with the tape.  Repeat until the whole message is strung up.

Determine the lengths for each string and tie them together at each end.  Secure to mantle with stocking hooks, tape, 3M strips, or anchor them with mugs shaped like boots!




Hope you are having a Merry and Happy December so far!  Christmas is only 2 weeks away!!






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Leave me a comment here or on Facebook or Tweet me @ebdaily - - - talk soon!

Pin It button on image hover