Monday, December 10, 2012

Color Me Domestic - Peppermint Nutella Crinkle Cookies



Later this month I am hosting my second annual cookie exchange. I don't make cookies very often during the other 11 months of the year but when it is Christmas time... I go a bit overboard.

I also have a cookie exchange at my office this week.

And... I made Christmas Confetti Cookies for our Friendsgiving celebration.

And... I made them this weekend, just because.

This weekend's cookie was a Peppermint Nutella Crinkle Cookie that I originally found on Pinterest. The recipe requires a few different steps but is actually very easy!

Peppermint Nutella Crinkle Cookies
Ingredients
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 large eggs
1 egg white
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp peppermint extract (or almond, or vanilla)
7 oz 65% cacao (or... 3.5 oz 60% and 2.5 oz 70%)
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1/4 cup Nutella (plus more for snacking... spoon licking totally required)

1 cup powdered sugar

Process
Whisk together the all-purpose flour and the cocoa powder in a small bowl and set aside.

Beat together eggs, egg white and sugar until thick and fluffy. It will be bubbly like pancake batter. Beat in peppermint extract.

Meanwhile (having a buddy helps) melt the cacao, butter and nutella in a saucepan over low heat. 

Gently fold in melted chocolate mixture into egg and sugar mixture and once combined gently fold in the flour and cocoa powder mixture until totally combined.

Chill dough for at least 20 minutes.

While you wait prep your baking sheets by covering them in parchment paper, measure out the powdered sugar and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

When dough has chilled spoon out rounded balls (about 1 inch in diameter) and roll them in powdered sugar. Place balls onto parchment lined baking sheet. 

Cookies bake for 10-12 minutes. They will crack on their own and you have the choice of leaving them a bit rounded or flattening them with your spatula. Let them cool for a minute or two on the pan (while you put in the second sheet of cookies) and then move them to a cooling rack.

You should have 40 - 50 cookies depending on how good you are at making consistent sized dough balls!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Leave me a comment here or on Facebook or Tweet me @ebdaily - - - talk soon!

Pin It button on image hover