Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Color Me Domestic - The Right Stuff-ing

My sister, Kelsey and my Mom starting the grinding process

The last component to Color Me Styled's Thanksgiving menu is the pièce de résistance... stuffing. 

I can never seem to get enough and to me it is the dish that makes Thanksgiving, well, Thanksgiving.

My mom has a cast iron hand mill that we use every year (stored in a 17 year old shoe box) to grind all of the ingredients together. And, my mom, with her strong stomach, is able to remove the innards and cook them to put into the stuffing instead of sausage.

How delicious does that look?? My mouth is watering.

Mom's Traditional Thanksgiving Stuffing
Ingredients
One small white onion - quartered or diced if not using food mill
3/4 large celery stalk - in pieces or diced
1 1/2 red delicious apples - in pieces or diced
1 honey crisp apple - in pieces or diced
the innards or bulk sausage cooked
bread crumbs for stuffing (see package for how much you need depending on the size of your bird)

Process
Clean and cut all ingredients down to size in order to run through food mill or food processor. If you do not have either of these tools, just dice everything evenly. If using a food mill or processor, also process the innards or the sausage. It is also helpful to process a few bread crumbs through in order to soak up juices and clean the mill as you go.

Add processed ingredients to bread crumbs and combine well.

Stuff your bird!

Or - if you don't like to stuff turkey - then cook it on the side according to the bread crumbs recipe. It is pretty easy stuff to cook so you can throw it in next to another ingredient and just make sure to watch the top. If it starts to brown too much then place tin foil on top.

Enjoy!!


Color Me Styled's Thanksgiving Staples


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Leave me a comment here or on Facebook or Tweet me @ebdaily - - - talk soon!

Pin It button on image hover