Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Color Me Domestic - Crepes with Hot Lemon Sauce

 

Breakfast in our house is either a yogurt and granola during the week or on weekends either a homemade egg creation or something from one of the several cafes within walking distance. 

This Sunday however I was well rested and mentally prepared to try something new. The experiment was crepes and it was ultimately successful.

In my first attempt at the batter I added twice the amount of butter that is called for... we're going to blame that on the lack of caffeine intake that early in the morning. Then when I had the ratio right I was struggling with lumpy batter and couldn't get it to smooth out. I read that a smooth, bubble and clump free, batter is the key to perfect crepes so this vexed me. Until I re-read my recipe in which they told me to use a blender. 

Wha-la a minute with my trusty immersion blender and the batter was ready to go. Well, to wait. The batter sits for 30 minutes before it gets cooked.

So, I took this opportunity to get my sauce slash jam ready. Hot lemon sauce is from the Joy of Cooking and is simply, lemon peel, sugar, water, egg yolks and butter, cooked at low heat for 30-45 minutes until it is a jam consistency. It does require constant stirring so I enlisted my sous-chef to stir with the promise of crepe samples along the way.

Then the other trick to crepes is the pan temperature. Put a half a teaspoon of butter in the pan and turn your burner to medium heat. The pan is the right temperature when the butter has melted and begins to brown but not smoke. If you notice that your crepes are taking less time, turn your heat down slightly to adjust. And if you loose control of your temperature... grab another pan and try the butter trick again. 

The method is easy, you add about 1/4 cup of batter to a 10 inch pan and then just swirl it around until the surface of the pan is covered. the first side will take a minute to 90 seconds and the second side will take about a minute. Any spatula will do just be gentle with the crepe and don't be afraid to pick it up with your hands if that is easier. (You can find examples on you tube if you are really lost)




Crepes
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup milk (works best with whole milk)
1/2 cup luke warm water
4 large eggs
1/4 cup of butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon salt

Blend it together or whisk it until totally smooth then let it sit for 30 minutes under plastic wrap. The batter will stay for up to 2 days in the refrigerator too.

If you are doing sweet fillings for your crepes - add 3 tablespoons of sugar and reduce the salt to 1/8 teaspoon.

Make sure the pan is at the right temperature and get going!


We tried a Hot Lemon Sauce / Jam with our crepes and it was delicious so here is that recipe too!

Hot Lemon Sauce
2/3 cup sugar
grated zest of 1 lemon
1/4 cup strained fresh lemon juice (no pulp)
2 tablespoons water
3 large egg yolks (whisked)
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces

Add the sugar, lemon, lemon juice and water to a small saucepan. Whisk in the egg yolks until throurghly blended. Add the cut butter and set the saucepan over low heat. Stir constantly but gently and bring the sauce to a boil and cook until thickened (about 1 minute after boiling - 45 minutes total).

Serve it on crepes, cakes or cookies! The sauce is good for about 3 days in the refrigerator and can be reheated in a saucepan for use.

Bon Appetit!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Leave me a comment here or on Facebook or Tweet me @ebdaily - - - talk soon!

Pin It button on image hover