Thursday, June 5, 2014

Ingredient of the Month // Asparagus









It is fresh at farmer's markets this time of year and I love incorporating it into spring and early summer dishes. Asparagus is delicious just grilled with a little oil, salt and pepper but the whole point of the Ingredient of the Month is to try something new. So, I've made a quiche!

I've made mini quiches before but I actually haven't made a proper pie-sized one. I was very nervous about the crust sticking to the pie pan, but the instructions on the box, the recipe and a few different sites I visited never said anything about greasing the pan. To my relief, the crust came off the sides of the porcelain dish cleanly (and deliciously).

I used purple asparagus because I've never cooked with it before. When I asked the gentleman at the farmer's market what the difference was his reply was "it's just purple". Luckily, he was right! The flavor is the same as green asparagus. Has anyone ever tried white asparagus?

Asparagus, Spring Onion and Gruyere Quiche
adapted from Martha Stewart Living

Ingredients

  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 2 spring onions, washed, white parts sliced
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 pound asparagus, washed, tough ends removed and then sliced thinly on the bias/diagonal
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 and 1/4 cup Half and Half
  • ground nutmeg
  • pie crust
  • 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
Process
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees with the racks in the lowest position possible (I had one at the very top and one at the very bottom... the quiche goes on the one on the bottom.

In a large skillet melt the butter over medium. Add the sliced onion and asparagus and cook until asparagus is crisp-tender (about 5-6 minutes). Let cool.

In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, half and half, 1/2 teaspoon salt, teaspoon pepper, and a pinch of nutmeg. Place pie crust on a rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with cheese, then asparagus mixture, then pour egg mixture on top. (I did the cheese last... I think putting it down first would have helped keep moisture from getting to the bottom of the quiche... but that is just a guess).

Bake until the center is just set, 50-60 minutes (50 was just right for ours). Rotate the sheet once halfway through. Let quiche sit for 15 minutes (while you take pictures of it), slice into 6 servings and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. thanks girl! It *was* good! (keyword: was... we ate it for dinner and breakfast this morning)

      Delete

I love to hear from you! Leave me a comment here or on Facebook or Tweet me @ebdaily - - - talk soon!

Pin It button on image hover