Friday, August 17, 2012

Color Me Cultured - Words With Friends


One of the largest frustrations in a game of Scrabble than someone winning with well placed "A-N-D"s or "H-O-M-E". Maybe more frustrating is when someone just adds an "S" to the word and gets all the points. But highest on the frustration scale is when a word that is not in the actual dictionary is used (aka; not the urban dictionary).

Merriam-Webster might be making it more difficult for us Scrabble purists (going for words like "Z-E-B-R-A" or "C-I-T-I-E-S" by adding pop-culture euphemisms to their hallowed pages.

Announced on Tuesday some of the newest words are "F-Bomb", "Sexting" and "Man Cave" (gag me, I hate that entire concept).

There is an online open dictionary where people can submit their newest words with definitions, pronunciations and part of speech (adjective, noun, verb...). Luckily most of these don't make the cut to the print addition.

This recent news has also inspired two new sections of Color Me Styled "Color Me Cultured" where we'll share both Pop and Arts & Science news and "Use Your Words" where we'll introduce a new five dollar word for you to use!

Get your own shirt here




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Leave me a comment here or on Facebook or Tweet me @ebdaily - - - talk soon!

Pin It button on image hover